Tuesday 21 December 2010

Makerbot Cupcake bits


I bought a Makerbot kit the other day, and had lots of fun building it -- reminded me of playing with Meccano when I was a youngster.

At this stage of evolution, setting up these hobbyist 3D printers is a bit of hit-and-miss - so I'v ehad endless trouble with Z-wobble. (For the interested, the Z-axis, which goes up-and-down with the extruder to give the models you print some height, is moved by four leadscrews. It's really hard to get them centred in their bearings, top and bottom, so some wobble is inevitable. Unfortunately, in my case, the wobble causes the Z-axis to jam, with unfortunate effects.)

One solution is to allow a bit of compliance in three of the leadscrews (that's an engi
neering term for slop), so I made up some two part nut-holders out of fluorescent red 3mm acrylic. Usual stuff --
inkscape the drawing, change the line width to 0.01mm, save as .pdf and cut on th
e
laser cutter.

Here they are, already for supergluing together, and mounting on the leadscrew just below the Z-stage platform.

Memo to self - next time, make the round holes 9mm, not 8mm, and cut out an 8mm slot so I can slot them on without dismemberi
ng the (somewhat finicky) leadscrews.




No comments:

Post a Comment